While May’s public holidays, school breaks and long weekends may be very different this year with travel or day trip plans postponed, digital travel platform Agoda shows how you can still explore the globe, shake off that cabin fever and experience what the world has to offer, all without leaving your own home. Taking Agoda’s travelers’ favorite destinations throughout 2019, combined with the top travel motivations from its Usage & Attitude Survey (U&A), Agoda shares a handy guide to travel in the virtual world.
According to Agoda’s U&A survey, Nature/Countryside; Beaches; Food & Dining; Landmarks; and Culture are the top five reasons cited to travel globally, so whether you have always wanted to check out the bustling cosmopolitan cities of Bangkok, Tokyo, Seoul or Kuala Lumpur, the Arts and Culture of New York, London or Paris, or the natural beauty of Canada, Vietnam, or Japan, thanks to the wonders of technology you can!
Travel Motivation #5 – Culture
Agoda’s Usage and Attitude survey found that culture – artefacts, dance, the arts – is the fifth highest reason to travel globally.
Museums & Galleries
· The Museum of Contemporary Art Bangkok houses a huge collection of valuable paintings and sculptures that promotes and highlights the rich legacy and heritage of Thailand. While not fully interactive, travelers can still learn about the works of local Thai artists such as Professor Emeritus Chalood NImsamer, and Professor Paitun Muangsomboon.
· Singapore’s cultural scene gets better and better. With theatre, arts, fine food and dining all to explore. Have a taster as you view the ArtScience Museum. Located right in the heart of the lion city, nestled between the iconic Marina Bay Sands hotel, overlooking the harbor, the museum hosts a range of fabulous exhibitions throughout the year – take a look at its contemporary art and science shows all throughout this #stayathome period.
· Korean pop culture may be influential now but Korea has a long, proud and exciting history worth exploring further. Take your pick of eras to explore via Gyeonggi Art and History with virtual sightseeing of some of South Korea’s world heritage UNESCO sites including the Namhanhangseoung World heritage center, Jeongak Pre-history Museum and Gyeonggi Museum of Modern Art.
· The National Palace Museum in Taipei, offers a fully interactive virtual tour so travelers can enjoy the museum and historical artifacts at your own pace.
· If science is more your thing, enjoy a 360-degree view of London’s world-class Natural History Museum from the comfort of your home.
Theatre & Music
· If you have always loved to see actors treading the boards, and long for works of the The Bard, performed at the world-famous Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London, prepare to be inspired and awed, through this series of ‘live’ performances here.
· Pop stars and singers might not be able to fill stadiums right now, but they are doing their best to perform for you at home. So, whether you like to rock to Bruce Springsteen, sing along with Gary Barlow and a selection go world wide artists during his Crooner Sessions, or want to bust a move to chart-topping Columbia Records artists like Diplo and John Mayer, you can catch them on live stream or their social accounts.
Travel Motivation #4 – Cultural Landmarks
Visiting famous attractions when travel is the fourth biggest motivation to travel for travelers around the globe, so check out these Instagram worthy destinations – online.
· They say there is nowhere like Paris in the springtime. Enjoy a virtual trip of, The Eiffel Tower, the most-visited paid monument in the world, which welcomes 7 million visitors every year.
· The rose city of Petra in Jordan is said to be holding secrets of decades past. Virtually discover what inspired the sets of the lost city in Indiana Jones’ movie ‘The Last Crusader’ at your own pace.
· The Apostolic Palace – or the Vatican City – is the official residence of the Pope and visited by 12 million people every year. Take a chance to explore the Sistine Chapel or Raphael’s Rooms at your own leisure via the Vatican Museums’ 360-degree tours and videos.
· If there was one destination that makes every one, no matter their age believe in magic, it has to be Disneyland. Keep the child in you alive with virtual tours of some of the best Disneyland rides.
Travel Motivation #3 – Food & Dining
The number three motivation to travel according to Agoda’s global Usage & Attitude survey, is to experience the food and dining at the destination.
· Replicate Michelin-star dishes with famous Italian chef Massimo Bottura and man behind #KitchenQuarantine encouraging chefs and people from around the world to recreate food they love and travel for. If you have been taking constant trips to the snack cupboard, why not give it a gourmet twist with Munchies from chefs that make it the best.
Travel Motivation #2 – Beaches/Islands
Beaches and/or islands are the second favorite global reason to travel. While you might need to wait a while until you can feel the sand between your toes or waves on your back, you don’t need to miss the magic of the ocean completely.
· Dating back 10,000 years, the Buck Island Reef National Park houses many unique corals and sea life. Take National Geographics’ guided dive with marine life photographer Brian Skerry and drift into the spectacular details of the gem colors and textures of this unique and protected barrier reef, watch sea turtle hatchlings make their way into the ocean at night.
· Alternatively, take a virtual dive with sealions at the National Marine Sanctuaries courtesy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Travel Motivation #1 – Nature/Scenery/Countryside
The number one motivation to travel for explorers across the world is nature and scenery. So Agoda has compiled a collection of natural beauty and cityscape videos to whet your appetite for travelling when it’s time to not stay at home.
· Japan is increasingly popular among travelers, and taking a closer look at JNTO’s tourism promotion campaign video, “Visit Japan”, you’ll see why. The video highlights 16 of Japan’s most unique attractions such as Tokyo Tower, Kyoto’s Sagano Bamboo Forest, and the torii gates of Fushimi Inari Shrine.
· The wild and rugged landscape of South Africa, with its Big Five animal safaris, is captured in Wild Earth’s daily live sunrise and sunset safaris – Wild Earth Safaris South Africa.
Scenery / Cities
If you are daydreaming of the hustle and bustle of city life here is a bird’s eye view of some of the world’s most breath-taking cityscapes
· One of the most beautiful destinations finds yourself transported to serene rivers and cobbled walkways. Step inside the Colosseum or walk through the Forum, where many of the Ancient Rome discoveries are tucked away, waiting for you to discover them.
· UK ranks 16 on the Agoda traveler list London its capital city is pure magic. With 2000 years of history, London is one of the worlds most visited cities and has something for everyone. Walk through iconic landmarks like Tower Bridge, London Eye and Carnaby Street.
And finally, for a truly out of this world travel experience….
· Check out the views from NASA’s International Space Station which takes sixteen orbits around the Earth in 24 hours. It sees either a sunset or a sunrise every 45 minutes. What better time to view Earth on NASA’s Space Station live stream than right now?