34.6 C
Bangkok
Monday, December 11, 2023

India’s Travel for LiFE resonates at PTM 2023

PATAPATA Travel Mart(PTM) 2023 host country India recently adopted the ‘Travel for LiFE’ slogan, based on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Mission LiFE (Lifestyle for Environment), urging tourists and tourism businesses to act for protection of the environment. This resonated with the PTM forum topic- ‘Where Responsibility Meets Opportunity,’ on Wednesday, Day one of the mart at the International Exhibition and Conference Centre(IECC) in New Delhi’s capital.PATA Travel Mart 2023

In his opening speech, Peter Semone, Chair of PATA(Pacific Area Travel Association), said, “We are living in a time where opportunities are boundless. However, the world is entering a critical time where the risk of devastating crises is at an all-time high. Climate Change and Geo-political impact can potentially devastate the travel and tourism industry. We, as an industry, can be the solution to these problems to sustain the immense potential it has for all”.

India Tourism adopted LiFE to compel travellers and the travel industry to make simple lifestyle adaptations that help mitigate devastating effects on the environment.

Prof. Monika Singh, Central Nodal Officer, Indian Institute of Travel and Tourism and Co-ordinator for the Indian Ministry of Tourism, said: “Practising sustainability is not new for India. We continue to follow many of the principles from our traditional wisdom in our lifestyles without knowing that these fall under the purview of sustainability. India government’s Mission for LiFE has now made it official for citizens to introspect and make lifestyle adaptations that continue to preserve the environment.”

Prof Monika Prakash, Ministry Of Tourism, India
Prof Monika Prakash, Ministry Of Tourism, India.

PTM delegates, too, took the oath to follow LiFE. India adopted the ‘Vasudaiva Kutumbakam’ slogan during its recently concluded yearlong G20 Presidency. From its profound ancient knowledge, the motto acknowledges the World as One Family that shares a common future.

Peter Semone said: “PATA has set a 15-year Sustainable Development Goal (SDG), and we could only achieve 18 per cent of what we planned to achieve in half the tenure of 7 and half years. The remaining 82 per cent needs to be achieved in the next seven and a half years. Failure to achieve SDG can lead to unstable economies and irreversible environmental changes. There is no tourism without nature, and there is no tourism without political stability.”

Asia and the Pacific constitute 60 per cent of the world’s population, with 4.3 bn people.

Mr Semone added: “PATA is committed to protecting our region. India, the world’s largest democracy, has taken steps towards sustainability. Let’s acknowledge our host country’s exemplary role in this journey. As an industry, we need to recognise the consequences and make our choices accordingly. Let us work together, and we can do well. United we stand, and divided we fall”.

PTM 2023 has 500 delegates from 46 countries interacting with many exhibitors from India and abroad from 4th to 6th October in India.

 

 

 

Written by: Madhura Katti

 

 

 

 

 

===================================

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.